For accessibility assistance with information and documents on this website, please contact the Commissioner's Office at (719) 383-3000.


Adult Services



Otero County DHS - Adult Services
13 W 3rd Street, Room 110
La Junta, CO  81050
Phone: (719) 383-3166
TOLL-FREE:  1-800-438-3752 (for Baca, Kiowa, and Prowers Counties)
Fax:  (719) 383-4607



  • Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC)
  • Adult Protective Services (APS)
  • Area Agency on Aging (AAA)
  • Options for Long Term Care (OLTC)
  • Home Care Allowance (HCA) Program
  • Veteran Directed Care

FY23-24 Otero County DHS Case Management Agency Contract

SFY24 HCA Program Packet

Adult Protective Services provides services to seniors and at-risk adults. If you feel someone is being physically or mentally abused, exploited, or neglected by themselves or someone else, contact Adult Protective Services at (719) 383-3166.

After-hours call toll-free: 1-877-767-8914

Options for Long-Term Care (OLTC) provides in-home services to nursing home-level care persons in Otero and Crowley counties. Individuals must meet financial and functional requirements. To apply call 719-383-3166.

Home Care Allowance (HCA): HCA is a program that pays someone to come into your home to provide services such as bathing, housekeeping, etc.

Home and Community-Based Services (HCBS): HCBS is a program that provides skilled nursing services through a home health agency.

CDASS: CDASS is a program where you are paid to manage your in-home care.

The Lower Arkansas Valley Area Agency on Aging (AAA) provides services to individuals aged 60 and older in Baca, Bent, Crowley, Kiowa, Otero, and Prowers counties.

LEGAL SERVICES: The AAA contracts with an attorney to provide legal services such as wills, powers of attorney, and deeds.  Call 383-3166 to make an appointment.

MEALS ON WHEELS: In-home meals are provided to homebound individuals through Sage Services.  Congregate meal sites are also available in some communities.  Contact Sage at 254-7547, or Adult Services at 383-3166 for more information.

VISUALLY IMPAIRED/LOW VISION ASSISTANCE:  AAA can provide magnifiers, talking items (watches, scales, etc.), and other items helpful to those whose vision cannot be corrected to a normal level with regular glasses or contacts.  Call 383-3166 for more information.

For Medicare Counseling:

Call 1-800-MEDICARE or visit (opens in new window).

Aging and Disability Resources for Colorado (ADRC) (opens in new window) is a resource center that is available to adults sixty (60) years and older as well as adults eighteen (18) years or older with a disability.  ADRC has an open-door approach to accessing long-term care services and community resources.  This is accomplished by strong collaboration with community partners and by accepting assistance from multiple resources.  ADRC helps people make decisions about the services that can best fit their needs.

ADRC does not provide financial support.  It does provide information for:

Options Counseling
General information about resources for the disabled and aging.
ADRC links to assistance programs such as:

Personal Care
Homemaker services
Home Modification
ADRC can assist with applications such as:

Social Security
Food Stamps
Medicare - Part D
ADRC also provides Options Counseling, which provides a team approach to help clients, family members, caregivers, and significant others make the best choices they can about current and future care.

The overall goal of ADRC is to streamline access to long-term care information and services.  This does not mean just nursing homes.  ADRC looks at long-term care as the many services that fall between living independently and needing a nursing home.

Contact your local ADRC Coordinator at (719) 383-3166.