- The County Sheriff is the chief law enforcement officer of the county, responsible for maintaining the peace and enforcing state criminal laws.
- The Sheriff must provide court security and is required to serve and execute processes, subpoenas, writs, and orders as directed by the County and District courts.
- The Sheriff operates the county jail and must maintain and feed prisoners.
- The Sheriff is also the fire warden for prairie or forest fires in the county and is also responsible for Search and Rescue.
- Issuance and approval of concealed handgun permits.
- Finally, the Sheriff performs certain functions in connection to civil processes, including sales of real and personal property to satisfy debt or tax liens.
Otero County Sheriff Shawn Mobley
First Elected: November 2014
Current Term Expires: January 2027
|Address||222 East 2nd St, La Junta CO 81050|